Blend: 60% Pinot Noir, 20% Pinot Meunier en 20% Chardonnay.
Dosage: 3g per liter.
Disgorged: September 2020.
A bright, fluid, pale yellow colour with flashes of brilliant yellowy green and alively stream of tiny bubbles that provides a persistent ring of mousse: everything to suggest a fresh and nuanced wine.
The first sensation on the nose is delicate and evocative:fruity notes of pear, peach, quince and lime plus slightly spicy hints of staranis mixed with acacia and honeysuckle,the whole accompanied by an invigorating waft of iodine. As the wine breathes, it reveals the more weighty aromas of fresh hazelnuts, bergamot oranges, blackberries, figs, wild strawberries and amarena cherries accentuated by traces of something more moist suggestive of celery leaves and Sichuan pepper.
On the palate the attack is clean and fresh with a soft, creamy effervescence. Nextcomes a velvety, chewy texture underpinned by the zest of citrus fruit and by the substance of otherfleshyfruits.The mid-palate is orchestrated around a clay and chalk minerality which intensifies the fruitiness,brings an almost palpable breadth and lends length and salinity to the finish. The dosage is carefully calibrated to bring out the perfect balance between the maturity of the wine and its remarkable menthol and peppery freshness. The silky finish caresses the back of the palate leaving a lingering and appetising sensation of chalkiness.
This 2014 vintage champagne is refined and harmoniouswith a marked and very precise fruitiness thatopens up no end of wonderful culinary possibilities. We recommend serving at between 100and 140C in a well-rounded glass and suggest the following food matching ideas:
- Foie gras terrine with champagne jelly flavoured with star anis and Sichuan pepper
- Red mullet cooked on the skin side and served with aubergine caviar
-Tataki beef marinated in limejuice, ginger and soy sauce served with Chioggia beet and purple potato crisps
- Magret of duck with crème Dubarry, pesto and parmesan foam and grated purple cauliflower
- Sturgeon ravioli with crayfish and basil bouillon in a shell fish emulsion
- Filet of zander with mashed ratte potatoes and saffron sauce
- Roast wild turbot and shellfish in demi-sel butter
- Roast pigeon, creamed sweet potatoes, fennel confit and seasonal mushrooms
- Supreme of braised pheasantwith cabbage stuffed with butternut squash
- Caramelised roast duck, with wild blackberries and celeriac in gingerbread breadcrumbs